The Portuguese Ecological Society is a scientific association.
Established in December 1995, SPECO crafted a suitable environment where ecologists can and should interact, reinforcing the ecological science in its interdisciplinary. We seek to be a dynamic scientific community, increasingly awaken and active on social issues.
SPECO aims to reach all who use ecological science as a base to nature conservation and environmental management. Moreover, we develop scientific or technological activities in the fields of Ecology and sustainable development, fulfilling a long time void in the national scientific community, a meeting point among several different fields.
- Member of the European Ecological Federation;
- Enrolled in National Record of the Nature Defence Organizations (APA);
- As an Environmental Non-Governmental Organization (ENGO) it has taken part of several meetings and conferences.
The average annual growth in the first four years have been exponential. Currently SPECO counts with a significantly large number, given the nation scientific society, of around 500 members.
What we propose
- Promote the knowledge of Ecology on the domains of research and education;
- Strengthen the networks of national and international researchers and support interdisciplinarity
- Encourage the enforcement of ecological principals in development, use and conservation of natural resources;
- Collaborate with entities: official or private, national or international in the development and implementation of adequate ecological solutions for the environmental problems;
- Direct information fluxes related to Ecology;
- Edify citizens to the ecological issues contributing to a more intervening society;
- Promote the link between citizens and the government, regarding conservation, science and educational politics issues.
What we do
- Organization of the National Encounter of Ecology, with the participation of ecologists from different fields;
- Publication of the Summaries book of the National Encounters of Ecology;
- Four-monthly publication of an online scientific magazine (Ecologi@);
- Organization of conferences, seminars and debates;
- Attribution of grants to students and young researchers to participate in scientific events.